Saturday, October 11, 2008

I Beseech You to Look

Fra. Giovanni was a Benedictine Monk and an architect who among other structures built two beautiful bridges in Paris by Notre Dame.  He is also the author of an inspirational Christmas letter  that I'm singing with Austin Singers as set by  Paul Sjolund .  I think the text is especially appropriate in these days of fear:

There is nothing I can give which you have not;
But there is much, very much, that while I cannot give it, you can take.
No heaven can come to us unless our hearts find rest in today.
Take heaven.
No peace lies in the future which is not hidden in this present moment.
Take peace.
The gloom of the world is but a shadow.
Behind it, yet within reach is joy.
There is radiance and glory in the darkness, could we but see;
And to see, we have only to look.
I beseech you to look!

The whole letter is here.

No comments: