Thursday, September 4, 2008

. . .if necessary, use words

Talking isn't doing. It is a kind of good deed to say well; and yet words are not deeds.
William Shakespeare

We love a good orator.   If you can spin a pretty word, stand up on a soap box, pulpit, or bandstand, and we will judge your abilities by your words.

I have avoided listening to any of the speeches given at both political conventions, but this morning I heard a report from the Mugshot in Wisilla, Alaska.   Over by the pool table , a patron said that Palin's speech, just her speech, puts to rest any doubts about her abilities.  Listen to the news clip.

The same thing makes me suspect of Barak Obama:  he orates too well.   Too often, communities are swayed by smooth words and revival emotion.  There's not much that could ever change my mind about voting for that candidate, but I wish he'd skip a few beats.

Sorting out the truth about St. Francis of Assisi

No comments: